Colophon \ˈkä-lə-fən, -ˌfän
— an inscription placed at the end of a book or manuscript usually with facts relative to its production
The colophon is set for a comeback. With so many new digital publishing options, platforms and approaches, there is a natural opening and call for sites to share how they do what they do. In the spirit of the traditional colophon, I offer this summary of the tools behind this site.
I approached the typographic design of this site with two goals in mind. First, to not slow down page load (i.e. no cloud-hosted fonts). Second, to feel natural and of a piece with the device platform. So, I am using a prioritized font stack that degrades from the preferred font down to the system fonts.
- Jekyll: static blogging software
- Atom: text editor (coding)
- Ulysses: text editor (writing)
- Photoshop CC: image and photo editing
Hosting & Services
- Github: source control
- Travis: continuous delivery
- Amazon S3: static site hosting
- Amazon CloudFront: caching